How We're Prioritizing Our Physical and Mental Health
Now more than ever we need to make our health a priority. Many of us are working from home for the foreseeable future and, although we may feel the need to watch the news all day, we need to prioritize our health and ensure we’re doing everything we can to stay healthy, both physically and mentally. We asked our co-founders Rajia and Ray to share what they’ve been doing to prioritize their own health during this difficult time.
Rajia’s “new normal” routine:
Trying to Start the Day Off As I Usually Would
- Right after I wake up, I do what I would usually do if I was going to work (shower, brush my teeth, etc) then I get dressed as if I'm going out
- I've been dressing up in a lot of active wear - and I've been putting on makeup and doing my hair just as if I'm going to go out
- It's weird because typically I wouldn't put on makeup or straighten / curl my hair if I'm not going out but it's helping me stay sane and feel more normal - it actually gives me a huge sense of satisfaction - I honestly don't know why!
Trying to Stay Active
- I've been wearing active wear all day because it's comfortable but more importantly it's putting me in the mood to exercise
- I've been putting on some YouTube videos and following them!
- Typically on an average day I'm running to work I skip breakfast or I have something quick and light like cereal or a protein bar.
- Now that I have extra time I've been taking the time to cook breakfast (today I made pancakes - yesterday I made an omelet) it's been very satisfying getting a whole meal. For people who typically eat breakfast I recommend trying new recipes!
- I've also been avoiding takeout and trying to cook new meals - I've been following recipes from The Skinny Taste Cookbook - the carne asada recipe is amazing!!
Staying In Touch with Friends
- I've been texting/calling a lot of people to check on them.
- It's a stressful time for everyone so it's really important to check in on people you care about!
Spending Time With Loved Ones
- With my crazy schedule it's been difficult to make time to spend with my family, in a weird way the quarantine has brought us all together which is nice! My cats are definitely loving having me here more!
Ray’s fitness routine and a fun workout:
I've been going on walks with my fiancé and my brother's dog to get out of the house if the weather is nice. It honestly feels really great to just get fresh air and some vitamin D. I've also been taking this opportunity to get back into running. I used to run long distances all the time, but with my crazy work and travel schedule the past few years it's made it difficult. Yesterday I did a 30 minute short distance sprinting workout, and I plan on building back up to some longer distance running. Just make sure to reduce the urge to stop and say hello to any furry friends walking by with their owners. I know it can be tough, but we've got to practice social distancing!
My gym also shared a fun workout that is perfect for getting kids involved. It's called the Deck of Cards Challenge. I figured I'd share in case anyone is interested in getting their family involved:
Grab a deck of cards, and a piece of paper to remember the rules.
• Diamond = Squats
• Hearts = Push-ups
• Spades = Jumping Jacks
• Clubs = Sit-ups
The number on the card represents the number of reps you do. For example, if you pull a 6 of spades then you do 6 jumping jacks. Picture cards automatically equal 5 push-ups. The goal is to get through the entire deck. You can each do the entire thing, or you can split it up individually for whichever person pulls the card.
There are so many fitness websites and trainers that are now offering free online classes, here are a few of our favorites:
Also, starting the day off with some meditation helps set the tone for the rest of your day. Just a few moments spent in silence and calm will lower your blood pressure and help you feel more focused. Some of our favorite meditation apps include Calm and Headspace.
Another great way to start the day is by making a healthy smoothie! Here’s one of our favorites!
Green Goddess Smoothie
Power up your morning with this fruit-veggie combo: Blend 1⁄2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1⁄2 cup honey yogurt, 3 cups baby spinach, and 2 bananas, sliced and frozen.