Back-to-School: College Safety
College can, at times, be overwhelming. From the social and academic demands to figuring out your career path, your college years, although transformative, can also feel very frustrating. To be able to focus on all things college related, every student should feel safe while on campus but, many times, that’s not the case.
The most prevalent crime on campus is sexual violence according to RAINN, an advocacy group that fights sexual violence nationwide. So how do you stay safe when heading back to school? Here are some tips:
- There’s safety in numbers. When going out always go with a friend or a group of friends that you know well and trust.
- Evaluate your surroundings and be alert. Put your phone down, look around and take in your surroundings in case of an emergency or urgent situation you are aware and can get out quickly.
- Take a self-defense class. In addition to how and where to punch and kick an attacker, you’ll also learn verbal techniques and safety strategies that could help if you are ever in an uncomfortable situation.
- Limit your alcohol intake. Don’t leave your drink unattended or accept a drink from someone you don’t know well and trust.
- Invest in an invisaWear - by simply double pressing the back of your charm you’ll alert your 5 pre-selected emergency contacts, and 9-1-1, with an SOS alert and your GPS location. We, of course, recommend our products to everyone as safety is at the forefront of our mission. But if you don’t have an invisaWear invest in pepper spray or even a whistle as those may deter an attacker.